- Small Factory opened by W. N. McCoy
1886 - J.W. McCoy opened Williams & (JW) McCoy Pottery Co.
1890 - Merged & Renamed Kildow, Williams & McCoy Pottery Co.
1892 - (approx) - Renamed Midland Pottery Co.
1898 - Sold to Roseville Pottery Co.
1899 - J.W. McCoy Pottery Company by J.W. McCoy, continued to 1911 when George
Brush acquired controlling interest and it became "Brush-McCoy Pottery Co.
1918 - McCoy family sold interest in Brush-McCoy but name did not change til
1925 (at this point, Brush Continued until 1982 when it closed)
"Brush Pottery Co. of Roseville, Ohio." Nelson
believes this is Jay Cusick on the Right. If you know who is on
the left please tell me.
- J.W. McCoy assisted his son, Nelson, in establishing Nelson
McCoy Sanitary Stoneware
1933 - (approx) - The Company simplified the name to Nelson McCoy Pottery Co.
and operated this way until 1967
1967 - Sold to Mount Clemens Pottery Co. (Nelson McCoy, Jr. continued to work
at McCoy until 1981)
1974 - Sold to Lancaster Colony
1985 - Sold to Designer Accents & merged with their company, and renamed to Nelson
1990 the McCoy Pottery ceased operation after a number of declining
years of sales and profit. While it is sad that a Century of
existence ended for the company, it lives on through the many
collectors and individuals that appreciate the art form known
as "Art Pottery".
Throughout its almost 100 years of existence the
McCoy family maintained ownership of the company and the president
of the company was a McCoy through 4 generations.
company continued to grow as the economy grew and was considered
to be the premise manufacture of art pottery in the U.S. At
the zenith of the company's existence, the employment had grown
to over 450, many of which were sons and daughters, sisters
and brothers of the artisan who passed the trade on to their
families. Even surviving a major fire in 1950, which destroyed
the pottery, the plant was rebuilt and expanded several times
and grew to over 200,000 sq. ft. and was able to produce on
average a 50,000 pieces a day.